I’m just a beginner in the garden but am determined to grow a few herbs and veges of my own. I love the thought of being able to pick fresh ingredients from my garden and having an edible garden.
I am a little paranoid about sprays and pesticides when I buy from the supermarket so thought if I can grow the herbs I most use in cooking I’ll feel happier eating them and giving them to my family. It bothers me when I go the markets (or supermarket) and buy my herbs I inevitably end up throwing alot out! So if I grow my own I’ll be able to cut only what I need.
The herbs I’m planting in this month of july (winter in a sub tropical climate) are dill, mint, oregano, parsley and thyme.
These are recommended to plant around this time of the year in Australia.
This is one of my families favourite recipes using a few of these fresh herbs cut straight out of our garden…
herbed chicken with spinach spaghetti
- 4 chicken breasts sliced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 250g packet cream cheese
- 1/3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 cup water
- 1 small chicken stock cube crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 40g butter
- 500g spinach spaghetti pasta
- Combine chicken, paprika and black pepper in a bowl, let stand 20 minutes
- Blend or process all other ingredients (except butter) until nearly smooth
- Melt butter in pan and cook chicken mixture on high heat until browned
- Add cheese mixture, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes uncovered
- Serve with pasta….yum